City of San Josť
ASSISTANT ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES SPECIALIST (8201)
Under immediate supervision, performs professional-level technical and
analytical work of moderate difficulty by participating in the development,
promotion, and implementation of assigned environmental programs in a manner
reflecting pertinent federal, state, and local laws, guidelines, and
regulations. Performs a variety of administrative functions to ensure compliance
with contracts and franchise agreements held with outside agencies/consultants.
Conducts a variety of technical tasks and analyses to monitor compliance with
designated environmental enforcement guidelines and regulations. Participates as
a responsible, proactive, and professional member of assigned programmatic and
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESULTS (Any one position may not include all the duties
listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
- Participates as a knowledgeable, cooperative, and supportive member of
assigned programmatic and administrative teams responsible for a variety of
goals and activities; provides technical and specialized input to team efforts;
may act as a team leader on a rotational and/or assigned basis; updates
knowledge base and learns new skills in a continuous effort to grow and become a
more productive team participant.
- Participates in the development and implementation of division goals,
objectives, policies, and procedures by participating on programmatic work
teams; assists in promoting a team environment by contributing a perspective
consistent with assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Organizes and participates in assigned program area activities, including
contract management and compliance, customer service and outreach, data
collection and analysis, and presentation of technical and specialized data.
- Conducts and participates in program outreach efforts and related activities;
participates in the development and implementation of plans and programs to
preserve environmental resources for public environmental protection; collects,
monitors, analyzes, and evaluates environmental program data using a variety of
modeling and statistical methods and techniques.
- Designs and develops a variety of materials and activities to promote,
implement, and evaluate assigned environmental programs in a manner that will
enhance public awareness, educate citizens on relevant environmental issues, and
encourage proactive and cooperative problem-solving activities.
- Represents the division and/or assigned program at conferences, public forums,
and community meetings as well as with inter-agency groups and committees;
provides technical assistance/input as necessary; may conduct presentations
related to Cityís environmental programs upon request.
- Researches and prepares a variety of technical and administrative reports as a
member of assigned programmatic and/or administrative teams; provides necessary
documentation and justification for presentations; prepares written
correspondence as necessary in the performance of required duties.
- Participates with other City departments, community service providers,
consultants, and other jurisdictions and agencies in environmental program
development and coordination efforts as well as legislative advocacy and
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with coworkers, other
City employees, other organizations and their representatives, and the general
public demonstrating positive customer service and communication skills.
The Assistant Environmental Services Specialist classification is the entry
level in the flexibly staffed Environmental Services Specialist job series.
Incumbents in this classification would assist with the development and
implementation of designated program areas; collect, research, analyze, and
monitor data; assist in the monitoring, tracking, and administration of
contracts; provide customer service and outreach functions; participate as
active members of a variety of teams, both programmatic and
administrative/operational. This job class would require some related experience
in environmental services and/or protection with a public agency or private
business, which could include time spent as an intern. It may also require
designated and specific program experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental sciences.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures and computer equipment and software.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of business correspondence and report
- Ability to assist in organizing and implementing an environmental service
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and tactfully in both oral and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those
contacted in the performance of required duties.
Competency Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic program development and
- Ability to interpret and explain assigned program policies and procedures.
- Ability to, on a continuous basis, analyze data and prepare technical reports;
interpret and evaluate technical information; understand laws, regulations, and
codes; problem-solve technical issues; remember various rules and regulations;
explain and interpret technical information.
Bachelorís Degree from an accredited college or university with appropriate
course work for assigned duties.
One (1) year of experience promoting and participating in the implementation of
environmental services programs. Specific positions may require designated
course work and/or training depending on the duty assignments.
(3/96), (Rev. 2/98)