The City of San Jose offers voluntary accident insurance through Cigna. The insurance is 100% employee paid and can help protect families from financial hardship by paying a specified benefit amount upon death or serious injury due to a covered accident. Cigna accident insurance benefits include:
- Payable benefits for living events such as dismemberment, paralysis and coma.
- Filling critical gaps in coverage and unexpected expenses not covered by other insurance benefits, such as life, disability, health or workers' compensation.
- Guaranteed issue coverage - no medical underwriting is required.
- Coverage is available for dependent spouses and children.
- Additional benefits include, but are not limited to, rehabilitation, hospital stays, bereavement and trauma counseling, spouse job training, child care and identity theft protection.
All full-time and part-time benefited employees are eligible to enroll themselves and their eligible dependents in the City’s accidental death and dismemberment plan.
Employee monthly premiums are calculated based on rates per $10,000 of coverage purchased. Current premiums are shown in the Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Brochure provided below.
For more information about accidental death and dismemberment insurance, email Employee Benefits at email@example.com.